Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Needles to Hooks

The hooking addiction . I started with a needle addiction and it lead to hooking. Every night, and spending more money to feed the addiction. Of course I'm talking about crochet and knitting.  
I learned how to knit roughly 5 years ago and and I taught myself how to purl through video lessons online. Thank goodness for the Internet. We used to learn from or grandparents and older aunts, but if that is impossible for you, than the Internet is the next best thing.


I started out making a scarf. Who doesn't? its the easiest thing to learn . I got so tired of making scarves and everyone got tired of getting scarves, that I needed to bite the bullet and learn some more stitches and read patterns. I enrolled in a fairly affordable class on line with great instructors and clear video. Then life happened. I stopped watching and learn and kept making scarves. 

While I was learning to knit someone else was crocheting and talking about how it was easier than knitting. I felt accomplished learning something apparently so difficult. I even taught my group of friends to knit a basic stitch and we donated our scarves to a shelter. I was shown how to crochet several times and I thought I really wasn't going to get it. I already had some hook and yarn from knitting, so I made up my mind to dive in and struggle through it from a poorly made YouTube video. It was the best of the best. Yuck. while I saved for the Crochet videos online course, I worked a ball of yarn to death until my hands cramped. One month later I finally got the single crochet. On and on I went every night for 3 months. Now I'm crocheting granny squares and reading patterns I thought I'd Never get. Crazy or perseverance?


No comments:

Post a Comment